“I’ve been smoking a pack a day for 35 years, there’s no point in quitting now!” Sometimes, seniors justify the habit of smoking because they’ve been doing it for so long. Even though it might seem pointless to quit this habit later in life, the truth is that there are many benefits of quitting smoking, regardless of your age.
Benefits of Smoking Cessation
These are just a few of the benefits that you will receive when you stop smoking, and these benefits are available at any age:
- Lower the risk of stroke
- Lower the risk of heart attack and heart disease
- Improve circulation
- Reduce the risk of lung disease
- Lower the risk of cancer
- Improve senses, including both smell and taste
Many doctors have said that smoking has a direct impact on life expectancy. In fact, it might be linked to 1 in 5 deaths that happens in the United States.
Tips to Break the Addiction
If you want to improve your health, then today is a great day to start on your resolution to stop smoking. It doesn’t matter your age, because you will be able to improve your health at any time in life.
Here are a few tips that you can use to stop the habit and overcome the nicotine addiction:
- Find an accountability partner who can help when you are having a weak moment
- Talk with your doctor
- Use smoking cessation medication, to slowly decrease the nicotine levels
- Attend group counseling sessions
- Talk with an addiction counselor
- Call your state quit-line for help with local smoking cessation programs
The best thing that you can do is ensure that you have good medical support to assist with your efforts. Talking with a doctor should be the foundation of your smoking cessation plan, which is why you need to be sure that you have a good insurance plan to help with the cost of the doctor’s appointments.
There are different types of insurance plans that are designed to help with senior health care, and you should explore your options to find the plan that best meets your needs. For more information about affordable insurance coverage, call us today!